Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    ...But anyway there is another product on tour called Antivibe-DL that is Aquaplas...
    Right. AntiVibe (name) replaced Aquaplas (name) many moons ago. There are ~equivalents available in the industrial market for up to 30% less, but in all cases, 1-5 gallon lots come at a premium compared to bulk.

    The easiest-to-obtain equivalent (without freight expense) I've used can be found at a WW Grainger outlet;

    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1VDP3?Pid=search
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    So-Called 511E's on the Bay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Hmm... 5 gallon and one gallon buckets are cheap, maybe somebody could start a vending operation for small users.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    So-Called 511E's on the Bay


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Right. AntiVibe (name) replaced Aquaplas (name) many moons ago. There are ~equivalents available in the industrial market for up to 30% less, but in all cases, 1-5 gallon lots come at a premium compared to bulk.

    The easiest-to-obtain equivalent (without freight expense) I've used can be found at a WW Grainger outlet;

    Noise/Vibration Damping Compound, 5 Gal - Acoustical Absorption - Noise Control - Safety : Grainger Industrial Supply
    Cool Thanks Brad:2thumbsup: ,I have one of those Grainger Outlets about a mile and a half from my home on Olden Ave.But always thought they were just electrical supply houses.As I deal with a different supply house never went in there.Have to put that on my itinerary. And Check it out.Did you actually use this stuff ?If so what were the results.

    Was also wondering about the stuff that is on sheets with an adhesive backing.Could that be used inside of DIY cabinets?And would you still need to add some insulation on top of it in a DIY cabinet for the woofer.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    I've only used it in applications at my job. I work for a mechanical contractor, and some of our installations have to pass rigourous noise/vibration performance testing. When we have instances that are tested out of limits (by a 3rd party firm), we have to fix it. I've had our crews apply the Grainger compound in several cases, and it did the job in all. These were all ductwork/equipment panel applications, with offending noise in the ~1K-5K BW. Other applications (pumps, piping, etc.) usually require other solutions like foam/cork pads or isolation hangers.

    To date, there's been no leftover material for me to bring home...

    I'm sure the pads you mentioned are effective in their place, but I doubt that wood cabinets/LF apps would qualify as that place. For pad type of material, I use a constrained layer foam/foil product that GM turned me on to from Home Depot*. Way cheaper than damping compounds, and very cost effective on horns. It ain't pretty, but that's OK. (it's beatiful compared to the candle wax/peanut butter/mass-quantity-silicone...)

    * http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

    I still use 'glass for cabinets, it's effective, cheap, easy to come by, and not nearly as hazardous as some would have you believe.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    I'm confused........ the company that makes the renamed Aquaplas claims to be Canadian, and has only been around since the late 70's......... wasn't Altec using it MUCH earlier than that? Is this the case of concealing the manufacturer in favor of the marketing company, or purchasing the rights to a product? I just don't how this can be the same stuff unless there's more to the story.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Altec isn't the only company that's changed hands/ownership/structuring/location in the last 50 years...

    WirRep had roots with Blachford, which had roots with... all the way back to Germany and WWII.

    "Secrets" have nothing to do with it. At one time, Aquaplas was a patented product, and trade rights were protected accordingly for the normal period. That period has been over for a long time.

    I sincerely doubt that any of it is exactly the "same stuff" as produced 50 years ago... what is? All that matters is that it does the same job (or better).
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    So-Called 511E's on the Bay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    "aspirin" used to be a Bayer trademark...

    as did others...


    http://theformofmoney.blogharbor.com/OpiumBayer.gif
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Exactly.

    "Aquaplas" isn't listed at the USPTO as a registered trade name for an acoustic product, even as a long-dead one. It was the product formulation that was protected under patent law for a period.

    Added;
    Don't be surprised if "AntiVibe" changes name again, especially if Stanley finds it in competition with its' trade name hammer handles.

    People put waaay too much faith in a name.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Ok, I see....... It seems like this may be either a corporate purchase/sale situation, or a Klenex-tissue/Scotch-tape situation. .......or a little of both.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  10. #10
    HB Super Moderator
    So-Called 511E's on the Bay


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I'm confused........ the company that makes the renamed Aquaplas claims to be Canadian, and has only been around since the late 70's......... wasn't Altec using it MUCH earlier than that? Is this the case of concealing the manufacturer in favor of the marketing company, or purchasing the rights to a product? I just don't how this can be the same stuff unless there's more to the story.
    I think it is kinda like what Altec did with Heathkit,and IPC where they were the manufacturer and allowed other companies to label them.

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    To date, there's been no leftover material for me to bring home...

    I still use 'glass for cabinets, it's effective, cheap, easy to come by, and not nearly as hazardous as some would have you believe.
    Need to add an extra pail to the next job That's what I figured glass has been used for a very long time and is still the material of choice for cabinets in most cases.


    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    I sincerely doubt that any of it is exactly the "same stuff" as produced 50 years ago... what is? All that matters is that it does the same job (or better in some cases). In the case of AntiVibe, it's probably as close as one can get.
    But I think the formula is close enough to were it's damping characteristics are the same or better.As Noted

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.